Friday, April 20, 2007

Supposebly?? Supposedly??

So which is it?

Supposebly or Supposedly?

I guess I have always said "Supposebly." Why? I don't know. I didn't even realize it until hubby pointed it out to me recently. I was confessing my Contraction Snob-ism to him and he decided to confess his frustration with "supposebly." Apparently I and my entire family use the "b" version of the word. According to the spell check on good ole blogger, this is incorrect. The word is spelled with a "d."

So why do I use a "b?" This may be the mystery of the week. I doubt I will ever figure out this answer to that question, but trust me I will always think twice before I use this word again. In order to fit (since I'm a conformist and all) in I guess I will use spell check version...since spell check is always right!

4 comments:

Janelle said...

So how do you say probably? Do you say probly? I had that pointed out to me in HS and have been very aware of it since then.

Jessica said...

Oh my lands...I think I say "probly" also. I guess my "English" is my own!

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

The ones that I can't stand are "liberry" and "ambalance." Let's not even begin discussing George W.'s pronunciation of "nuclear." LOL! What about the word "comfortable?" Most people pronounce is "comftrable." That drives me batty.

Qtpies7 said...

Yep, it is supposedly. You probably say in tincorrectly because your family does. Try growing up with your elders saying "warsh" instead of "wash" LOL. "Go warsh your hands, you little whippersnapper."
Yep, good times!