Friday, April 13, 2007

Contraction Snobs Annonymous

I have a pet peeve...incorrect uses of contractions. No, not those preggo contractions, but the word contractions. Hello, my name is Jessica and I am a contraction snob.

There, I said it, it is out in the open. Whew! I feel so much better now...I took the first step!

As you are all aware, contractions are two words joined together with an apostrophe. you and are = you're, it and is = it's, they and are = they're...you get the picture. I can't stand the misuse or lack of use of contractions.

While at work today they celebrated the 60th birthday of a co-worker. A cake was purchased and the following phrase was stated on the cake "Your older than dirt." Can I tell you how frustrated I was that "your" was used incorrectly. I could hardly look at the cake without thinking that "your" should have been "you're." I doubt anyone else noticed...oh but I did.

So it was then that I realized to what extent of a contraction snob I am. When I can't stand to look at a birthday cake with a mis-spelled word, it is a problem. I won't judge you if a contraction is used incorrectly or not used at all. I promise. It is just something I am trying to get over...overlook...tolerate...GET A GRIP on.

So are any of you a contraction snob? Come join the group...you'll remain annonymous!

1 comment:

Janelle said...

I am too! We should start a support group, or should we start an education group for everyone else....?