Sunday, March 11, 2007

Brownie Drop-Out

When I was a young'n in elementary school I was a member of Girl Scouts. I was actually a Brownie. I dropped out though after 3rd grade, I was way too cool to be a Girl Scout by the age of 8. However, as most of American citizens know, Girl Scouts sure do know how to make a good cookie! I sold many a box of cookies in my short 2 year span as a member of this fine organization and I have eaten probably double the amount I ever sold over my life span. And boy are these some good cookies!

So when time came 5 years ago for cookies to be sold I was out to find me some cookies! I was now living in the central part of this beautiful bluegrass state and when I went to buy me some good cookies, I learned something tragic! Tragic I tell you...my entire life turned upside down! For some unGodly reason, central Kentuckians use the most generic names for Girl Scout cookies. My heart skipped a beat when the 7 year olds at Kroger did not know what a "Tagalong" or "Samoa" was. But they are right there, in that box, see, it says "Taga... What? Peanut Butter Patties? That is so generic!" Those poor kids must have thought I was some crazy woman. Now I do have to admit, the name difference did not stop me from purchasing a box of what I knew to be "Tagalongs" (peanut butter patties here in crazy land) and maybe a "Do-si-do" (Peanut Butter Sandwiches) and of course some "Samoas" (Caramel Delights). And I was pleased to find out that these taste exactly the same as the cookies by the correct names.

When I was selling these cookies 20 years prior, we lived only an hour west of here...only an hour! Who knew that Girl Scouts were selling some crazy generic named cookies just an hour away!

When I met my husband a couple years after I discovered this tragedy he thought I was crazy. Me??? He had never heard of such cookies as Samoas and Tagalongs. So I decided to do some "research" into this tragedy so I could set the central Kentucky Girl Scouts straight!

Well, maybe I could use some humbling! Good ole Wikipedia set me straight! Apparently, there are up to 3 names for some of the cookies. It appears that it depends on where the manufacturing plant is that supplies cookies to specific Girl Scout troops depends on the name, but gosh darn it, they all have the same good taste! So now I am going to go eat me a Tagalong from the box that says Peanut Butter Patties, and I'll remember that somewhere out there someone else calls them Hoedowns.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

Who knew there were different names? Seems like that would get confusing for the scouts!?

Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Wow, it's the opposite here. I remember selling "Peanut Butter Patties" when I was a kid. This year, some girl scouts had set up outside a grocery store with a little card table displaying their wares. (I had to sell door-to-door, no pre-ordering for me allowed. The people ordered their cookies, and that's what arrived. Things sure have changed!) Anyway, I asked for "Peanut Butter Patties" and the girls didn't know what I was talking about. Interesting about the different regions with the different names. lol!