Thursday, January 8, 2009

I am completely APPALLED!

UPDATE: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html CPSC clarifies this is not intended to affect consignment, thrift store, and resalers.

Our government, in an attempt to keep our children safe, are jeopardizing our economy.

A law has passed, which states beginning February 10th any children's item including toys, clothing, diapers, etc. must first be tested for lead before it can be sold. This means that consignment and thrift stores will have to test each item. The cost per item is upwards of $75 PER ITEM! These stores will have to close. We will no longer have an outlet for our used baby items. These will have to be trashed in our over flowing landfills.

Not only this, but all our friends who are making hair bows, doll clothing, toys, etc. will have to stop unless they can afford to have their items being used tested for lead.

I want my child to be safe. I want him to be free from lead exposure. I don't want to compromise his health. However, it seems no Congressman or woman spoke with mothers about this law.

This law will only hurt my family.

View this story, http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?pageId=85542 or this one, http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247 for more information.

If you feel as strongly as I do, please contact your Congressman about this law. https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Here is the letter I sent to my Congressman.

"My name is Jessica Frye, I am a mother of one child, a son who is three years old. My husband and I both work full-time and continue to struggle to meet the needs for our family with our co-joined income. I often work overtime to ensure we are able to pay our monthly bills. After trying to conceive a second child for the past 18 months without success we have come to the conclusion that we can not afford additional medical intervention and we are no longer pursuing conception as vigirously. Something which breaks my heart deeply.

In an attempt to pay off debt this year I had planned to pull out the 10 plastic totes I have saved of my son's clothing and toys in case we needed these for a second child. I had plans to sell these items. I was devastated to learn that beginning February 10th I will not be able to sell these items with the passing of HR 4040.

As a mother, I understand the concerns for the safety of our children regarding lead. I, as well as all mothers, don't want our children to be exposed to lead; however, the restrospective aspect of this bill is alarming.

Unless I pay upwards of $75 PER ITEM for testing I will not be able to sell the hundreds of items I have sitting in my son's closet. I will not be able to supplement my income and pay off debt. I will not even be able to donate these clothing items to someone who can use them. If I do any of these things I will be breaking the law. The only thing I will be able to do is throw these items in the trash. With our economy and environment in the shape they are in, I find this absolutely appalling.

Since we struggle to make ends meet, I have been shopping consignment sales and stores since my son's birth. I have found these to be increasingly helpful in keeping our family's budget from breaking. I am certain that retailers will be passing the expensive cost to test their clothing and toys to consumers. Then, a middle class family will not be able to affordably clothe their own child.

And what about my friends who have begun part-time businesses to make items for children such as clothing, cloth diapers, hair bows, and toys. These are stay at home mothers who have found a way to supplement their income. This bill will only prevent them from being able to continue to bring income into their family.

Please support adapting this law to eliminate any clothing and toys made or purchased prior to February 10, 2009. I would be willing to sign a release at consignment and thrift stores which explain the items may not have been tested for lead. Signs and literature regarding this could also be provided to all customers from the stores. Implementing this law as it stands today would only bankrupt businesses, families and children. Something I hope you do not support.

Thank you for your time and your consideration on this matter,
Jessica Frye"

8 comments:

Natalie said...

WOOHOO! That was an awesome letter!

Mrs. Frogster said...

I was just getting ready to write my congressman. Thanks for some good ideas on putting it all together!

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting. I also saw this:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247.story

http://www.snopes.com/info/inthenews.asp

I wonder if there is that much stuff that has lead in it! Honestly, I would rather be sure my son is not made sick or worse by lead poisoning!

Jen S. said...

This is the first I've heard about this. I'll definitely be checking into it!

Unknown said...

I sent my letters off yesterday! It's up to us moms to try and get this law changed.

Good for you!!

Janelle said...

I saw this somewhere else but didn't believe it, thanks for including a link. I'll put it on my blog and e-mail to everyone I know. We've got to get this changed to products MANUFACTURED after 2/10/09.

Other than that, you just have to find someone with a child in a bigger size to get things from and someone a smaller size to give things to. If they're not being sold, it shouldn't matter.

Ang said...

Jess,
Awesome letter, but this comment isn't about that.

My heart is breaking for you-- don't give up on the whole baby thing. I know how frustrating and depressing it is when you're trying to get pregnant, but instead you get a monthly visitor.I honestly feel your pain. Keep looking up though! We tried for almost 3 1/2 years after Mikey was born. I'm praying for you!!

Janel said...

Jess...
Stop "trying" so hard and it just may happen. You were not "trying" when you got Hoss. I'll say a prayer for you.
Love you friend,
Janel